Have you ever attended a networking event, business cards in hand, ready to meet some great people but instead you enter an after work semi-party, where instead of handing out cards and discussing your business everyone is handing out drinks and partying a little too hard? I don’t know about you but I’ve encountered a networking event (or two) that has gone terribly wrong. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with a little alcohol but you can’t forget the reason you came to the event.
It’s easy for a networking event to go from business to party in a matter of minutes so it’s important to remember what you’re purpose is for being there and what you hope to gain from the event. You want to leave feeling like you met someone who could potentially benefit you in the future and vice versa.
Here are a few pointers to get you through the event productively:
- Make sure you have your business cards
- Research the event before you get there
- Take it easy on the 2 for 1 drinks
- Have a game plan before going in: Who do you want to talk to? What do you hope to gain? What do you want people to know about you?
- NETWORK! Open up and introduce yourself to others in the room.